Evoking the coolness water from a bubbling brook in the hot summer months, Ryo 涼 features a mixture of light blue, green and yellow strings, and encourages you to sip matcha iced to fend off the summer sun.
The “white” bamboo 白竹 used for the whisk itself is henon bamboo (hachiku 淡竹) that has had its color removed through traditional, centuries-old techniques. A specific type of bamboo grown in the Kinki region of Japan (Nara, Kyoto, Osaka, Wakayama, etc) is harvested in the winter after 2-3 years of growth, boiled to remove oil in the plant, dried in the cold winter air, then aged for another 2-3 years. During this process the green color of the bamboo fades into the “white” color of bamboo.
Made in Takayama
Japanese handmade bamboo whisk or chasen are made in Takayama, the historical home of matcha whisks with roots tracing back five centuries. About 90% of all tea whisks (chasen) in Japan are made in this area.
Suikaen in Takayama traces its roots back to the 16th century and is one of a few studios preserving the tradition of whisk crafting. The head of the studio is its 25th generation master craftsman Tanimura Yasuburo.
Width (handle): 1.8 cm
Height: 11.5 cm
*All measurements are approximate
When you first use…
The Chasen is glued with the paper box with glue made from kneaded rice. To take out the Chasen from the box, please hold the handle and peel it off slowly. Next, use a wet cloth to wipe the bottom of the handle. Before you start using, please gently soak it in hot water to prevent the prongs from snapping off.
Due to movement during transport, it is possible that the base may become unstuck to the box.
Care & Precautions:
- The tip of Chasen may break if it is pressed hardly against the bottom of tea bowl. Please use the Chasen gently so that it can last longer.
- Please refrain from using a dishwasher or dryer as sudden change in temperature and humidity may cause cracking.
- After use, please rinse it with water and dry it thoroughly before storing it.
- Please refrain from storing at places of high temperature, high humidity, extremely dry area and direct sunlight. Recommended humidity for storage: 45-60%
- The natural drying process may cause vertical cracks in the handle, however, please enjoy the change in expression and texture as part of the natural bamboo’s original taste.